Subscribe for daily wellness inspiration

Like onlymyhealth on Facebook!

Sexual Abuse Symptoms in Adults

By  ,  Onlymyhealth editorial team
Feb 28, 2013

Sexual Abuse Symptoms in Adults

An adult may never recover from the trauma associated with the child sexual abuse they suffered as a child. There are multiple signs and symptoms in adults who have experienced this abuse and they will be outlined in this article. If you are worried about a friend or a family member’s behaviour and you’d like to know more, then hopefully this piece can help.


[Read: Signs of a Sexually Abusive Relationship]

There are two distinct types of symptoms of child sexual abuse in adults, namely physical and psychological/behavioural.


Physical Symptoms:

  • Pelvic pain.
  • Gastro-intestinal problems or issues.
  • Obesity and other eating disorders.
  • Insomnia and other sleeping disorders.
  • Pseudocyesis or a false pregnancy; where a woman seems to think she is pregnant.
  • Sexual dysfunction.
  • Asthma or other respiratory conditions.
  • Chronic back aches or headaches.

[Read: How to get relief from Back Ache]


Psychological Symptoms:

  • Clinical depression
  • Post-traumatic stress disorder
  • Self harm
  • Suicidal tendencies
  • Chronic lying and stealing
  • Compulsive sexual practices and desires
  • Somatizing, where the patient often complains about illnesses without any physical symptoms to back up their claims.
  • Sexual dysfunction
  • Eating and sleeping disorders [Read: How to Prevent Insomnia]
  • Unwilling to adhere to medical advice
  • An intolerance for sexual intimacy

There obviously isn’t any single, independent symptom which stands out and points at child sexual abuse, but a victim should show signs of some or most of these symptoms, nonetheless.

It is a very difficult topic to discuss with someone. Maybe you are the victim yourself and you see some of these symptoms in your own life. If they are adversely affecting your life, then it is best to talk to a psychologist or a medical doctor about it and maybe they can give you some help in overcoming the trauma, once and for all. Study these sexual abuse symptoms in adults first and if you feel you need help, then by all means consult a professional counselor.

Read more articles on Sex Education


Write a Review
Is it Helpful Article?YES10 Votes 46624 Views 2 Comments
Post a Comment

Though all possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; Onlymyhealth assumes no liability for the same. Using any information of this website is at the viewers’ risk. Please be informed that we are not responsible for advice/tips given by any third party in form of comments on article pages . If you have or suspect having any medical condition, kindly contact your professional health care provider.

  • M.Ravi26 Apr 2012

    hiv mey foda aur fever hota hai kya? aise time mey hamey kis baat ka dyan rakana chaiye? aur kya kya karna chaiye,

  • edwin24 Apr 2012

    how to forget it

  • All
  • Article
  • Slideshow
  • Video
  • QnA